Search This Blog

Translate

Fries

I thought it was just this simple thing; skin and slice potatoes and then deep fry. How stupid that was of me.

By the way, this is not a cooking blog.

Thinking back, I skipped the most crucial step which was to remove starch.

I looked up to the internet on how to make home made fries.

Turns out I kept skipping the processes of removing starch; ot can range from soaking to cold water for at least an hour, boiling it soft, low heat deep fried and freezing.

I didn't thought it was a lot of work.

Thankfully, it involved way less mess than my attempts at paper making -- but that's another story for another post.

Since I'm not very accustomed with slicing vegetables with a kitchen knife, I'm sure my cuts are neither fast nor precise.

I also neglected to get rid of the eyes. The potatoes were a bit on a small side, you see? And it's just a half kilo worth or so...

Soaking in cold water seems a step that needs a lot of waiting and waiting I did.

It was said that the longer it was soaked on cold water, the crispier to becomes.

Well, I let it soak on water in the fridge overnight.

As soon as I get to go home -- instructions says that I had to drain and pat it try...

And well I did. It was quite a bit awkward and not fully done it. Had to use, like, 2 or 3 of my dry towels.

There are more steps that goes beyond this; boil, precook, freeze or soak it in water again.

Since I'm in some sort of rush, I just chose precooking it.

But I don't have a thermometer that measures how hot the oil was. 

Whatever. It just says low heat -- then I just turn the stove on low heat.

And then drain and pat it dry. Pat dry the oil -- uhh... Of course, I had to cool it off too before that.

Still I'm just excited to see it's outcome.

But quite reluctant. So -- I cooked ¼ of my stock, and store the rest in the freezer.

Patting dry the oil isn't perfect either... I'm somewhat worried what would happen if I let it freeze...

So I cooked the remaining batch on medium heat oil. And it went brown quickly.

I might have poor time sense -- but I'm sure fries don't go golden to brown in less than a minute. Was my fire too hot?

I just took it out when it's golden brown or browning.

Drain, put some salt, cool off... And...

Well! It was not so bad the first time!

I think I like it.

And I have the intention to master this process... Because I like fries.